The thrill of horse racing often involves placing a bet on your favorite horse. Whether it’s the name, the color or the number, here are some pointers to help you place a bet to maximize your winnings.
- Win: Placing a wager on a horse to win. That horse must come in first for you to win the wager.
- Place: Wagering on a horse to come in first or second place. You win the wager if the horse comes in the top two.
- Show: Wagering on a horse to finish in first, second, or third. You win the wager if the horse comes in the top three.
Placing a win, place, or show wager is a great place to start if you are new to horse wagering. The minimum wager for a win, place, or show wager is just $2. Once you’ve mastered the win, place, and show, you can move on to more complicated wagering.
- Exacta: An exacta wager is placing a wager on two horses to come in first and second. To win, the horses must come in that exact order. However, you can also box your exacta wager. If you box your wager, the top two horses can come in any order, and you will still win. It costs twice as much to box an exacta.
- Quinella: A quinella wager is placing a wager on two horses to come in first and second in any order. The difference between a quinella and a box exacta is the cost. It costs more to place a box exacta, and the payout is typically bigger.
- Trifecta: A trifecta is selecting three horses to finish in first, second, and third. To win, they must finish in that exact order. You can also box a trifecta wager. If your horses finish in first, second, and third in any order, you will win. However, it costs more to box your wager, but the payout is typically bigger.
Colonial Downs will give away two seats to the 2021 NTRA National Handicapping Championship in Las Vegas at a qualifying tourney on Saturday, August 15, 2020. Contestants will have access to the 4th floor Ballroom (contest headquarters) and two adjacent Sky Suites with live racing that day scheduled for 5:30 PM (EDT).
Entry fee is $500 per person (limit two entries per person). $200 of that will go toward prizes and $300 will be towards a live contestant bankroll. Contest races will be announced the week of August 10, but plans are to include all 5 of the MATCH Series stakes races at Colonial that day along with the rest of the New Kent card, the latter part of the Arlington Million card and other optional late afternoon simulcast races from Saratoga and possibly Del Mar.
Stay tuned for registration details and more information. Colonial features the country’s widest grass course — the Secretariat Turf Course — and the second largest dirt oval (1 1/4 miles around) in the country. The track is conveniently located halfway between Richmond and Williamsburg and is just 17 miles east of the Richmond airport. Racing will also take place Thursday, August 13 and Friday, August 14 at 5:30 PM.
William Wirth and Stephanie Davis, who participated in the 2019 qualifier at Colonial, won seats to the 2020 National Handicapping Championship held this February in Las Vegas.
WIN YOUR SHARE OF $11,000 IN BETTING VOUCHERS/PRIZES & 2 SEATS INTO A $3 MILLION HANDICAPPING CHAMPIONSHIP NEXT FEBRUARY IN VEGAS!
Compete for betting vouchers and accumulate leader board points.
FREE CONTESTS ARE AT:
Breakers Sports Grille
Ponies & Pints
Buckets Bar & Grill
Windmill OTB Sports Grill
Rosies Gaming Emporium in New Kent
February 29, March 14, March 28, April 11, April 25, May 9, May 23, June 13, June 27, July 11, July 25.
Top 3 finishers at each contest win betting vouchers: $50/$30/$20
Accumulate points based on where you finish.
*Contestants with the 10 highest cumulative point totals system-wide win FREE entry (valued at $550) into Colonial Downs Handicapping Classic
on August 15 (MATCH Series Night) where 2 players will advance to $3 MILLION NATIONAL HANDICAPPING CHAMPIONSHIP IN VEGAS!
For more information on horse wagering and informational videos, visit one of these industry partners: